Tuesday 19 January 2010

Todays music or yesterdays music?

To be honest I am a big music fan, and I find that however many new bands I listen to they cannot overtake the greatness of the old bands. I would not say that I am doubting the music today, but I do think that they music from the past is better from the ones in the present. I am sure that eventually someone will come and “Micheal Jackson” the industry. To do this you will have to have some good Artist management but until then we have to deal with a bunch over marketed music. I would suggest that anyone who is not in tune with the history of music to check some out, you never know what you might find. As a young child my mother used to listen to regular pop music, and as I got older I started going through her collection, I found all sorts of music. These musical genres spreaded from Jazz to funk and classical to RnB. This definitely opened my eyes to the type of music that can be made today if people go to the past and try to understand what was going on then. I am not saying that music will work now, if it worked then, but to all the musicians and record producers out there, I would recommend for you to go back to the past to see what you can find. Use these songs that are old as references and as inspiration for your own new music. I am not necessarily saying that you should copy the music off rip it off. I am not even saying you should sample it. I am saying that you should listen to it, to find out what made it so popular then, and hopefully you will begin to understand why it is so great.

I would suggest that you go back in time and listen to the Beatles. They are definitely one for my all time favourite bands, the work they done was so commercial but also so successful it was often hard not to think that they were geniuses, well actually there were. They were also linked to bands such as the Beach Boys who were also very great. They used a lot of vocal harmonies and stuff, you could try to use this stuff as an idea of where to head with your own music!

Just in all, think about what you are doing, the more you open your mind, the better you music will be come. And the more you open your mind the more; wonderful your music will become, rich of different genres, sounding like no other.

No comments: